Research into how and why parents just need to know paternity test truth

  • A huge relief: Almost 2/3 of tests reassure parents that ‘assumed fathers’ are the ‘biological father’
  • Younger mums most likely to need to know: 53% of testers are  mothers under 25
  • Early testing desirable: 76% of tests relate to children under 2 years
  • Reassuring older dads: older Dads most likely to want to be confident it’s their child

The latest research into do it yourself paternity kits reveals that 2/3 men tested turn out to be the real father. This research was carried out in the wake of the launch of AssureDNA, a home paternity kit that is now on the high street through Boots stores.

There are many families in the UK who are uncertain about their children’s paternity, and the space for the name of the father is left blank on approximately 50,000 birth certificates every year. The research estimates that in the UK, around 1/25 assumed fathers turn out not to be the biological daddy at all.

“Knowing the truth can have life-changing results,” says Relationship Counsellor, Joyce Walter. “It’s therefore crucial that all parties consent to the test and discuss the consequences with a trained professional before going ahead, which is the case with the assuredna test.  No parent wants to be in a position where they have to do a paternity test, but the reality is that today’s families are far more complex than ever before.  Any feelings of doubt can seriously disrupt family life and cause bigger problems in the long term. Our relationships, in order to be healthy ones, need to be based on honesty and trust.”

Now, test analyses conducted by the makers of the assuredna testing kits, Anglia DNA, reveal some interesting statistics from individuals who have used the assuredna kit.

AGE AND SEX

  • 76% of tests are carried out by couples when the child is aged 0 to 24 months (of which, 53% relate to babies aged 0-6 months)
  • Demand for paternity testing from women peaks between the ages of 22-25 and then declines
  • Demand from men sees a sharp increase from the age of 25, with almost half of tests carried out when men are aged 26-40
  • In 84% of cases, the mother or father is stated as the ‘nominated person’ (the person to whom the Test Report should be sent and with whom the results may be discussed) however, in the remaining 16% of cases, this person is someone else, e.g. a relative or family friend
  • Younger women aged 15-18 are almost twice as likely to do a paternity test than  men of the same age  (This pattern may denote the fact that men start to become more interested in ascertaining paternity only after they have reached the ‘settling down’ age.)

SEX, MARRIAGE & CO-HABITATION

The research in question highlighted the fact that only 7% of assumed fathers and mothers shared the same surname, and only 16% shared the same address.

CERTAINTY EQUALS PEACE OF MIND

“Couples come to assuredna because they want peace of mind,” says Dr. Mandy Hartly, Technical Manager at Anglia DNA – the makers of assuredna.  “We understand that there are families out there living with doubt and uncertainty, and are struggling to move on with their lives because of this.  By doing a consensual paternity test like the assuredna test, couples can put an end to those feelings of doubt and move on as a family.”

 

 

Leave a Reply

  

  

  

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>